Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Crunch time

When everything somehow times out so that you end up doing nothing for ages then everything in a week it's a lot to process

I feel like I'm doing a not bad job though, with the ace support crew to be given full credit for their role in keeping things rolling.

Tomorrow night we have Plays n Pints - an FTP event that hasn't happened for a very long time but needed resurrecting so I was given the task of doing just that.  Lots of last minute things - do they have music stands at the venue? Where's the cashbox in Sam's apartment? (Sam does not know) What's the ticket split between us and the bar? How many 3-ring binders do we need?

But it's all coming together and tomorrow night will see a great cast of 9 plus me filling in extra voices here and there do a staged reading of 'The Best Man' by Gore Vidal at Ryan's Daughter, an Irish bar on the Upper East Side where Plays n Pints has historically taken place.  It's a very casual night where we encourage people to enjoy beers while they enjoy a play - we choose plays that lean towards comedy, the actors have drinks in hand too, and everyone has a low key grand time.

Of course I've never been responsible for organising one before (and I'm really co-organising, Ali has been acting as my second brain and picking up things I missed) and I honestly never realised how many details there were to something that seems so simple.  Now that I've done it once however I have a checklist of everything so if I do it again I'll have a template to work from.  Yay learning!

I've been staying at Sam and Val's for a week looking after Bobby, so I'm factoring his walk and food needs into the rest of my timetable but it's been working out well, somehow.

And of course Freaks Don't Cry opens next week and I am so thrilled at that prospect - like with The Unseen, the whole show is kind of like a mystery to everyone because most of us won't ever get to see everything that happens, since there are sometimes multiple scenes happening simultaneously.  Everything I have seen is crazy cool though.  I can't stress enough how cool.  There are so many fantastic elements mixed in, as if the beautiful storytelling isn't enough.  It's very special to get to develop a piece the way we do, with movement coming from the performers, because it adds a personal uniqueness to everything making it all the more authentic and touching.  IMO.

I'm also thrilled about the physical changes I will have to/get to undergo for this show - watch this space it's going to be so effing cool!

Having spent the day so far ticking off items on my huge to-do list with an unexpected and slightly alarming efficiency I'm going to head into Manhattan to drop off a script and print programs.
Which are also on my to-do list.  It's a long list! I love lists.

Tapping in Diana Brooks' class last week - note the intense concentration on my face, then note that I'm still on the other foot from everybody else.  Also note the spiffy tap shoes!

The Mystical Madam Ma...what's she hiding under that veil?

That is a pile of broken glass. Shan is standing on it.  Everything's fine.


Coney Island boardwalk on a beautiful February Monday

My brief respite this morning from the long list...small moments matter big

So, I learned this about myself today - I have a huge wingspan! I never really thought about it before but my friend Keola stopped by to pick up his script for tomorrow and I got him to take a couple of pictures that I need to send to the Freaks Don't Cry team, and he immediately commented on my reach - we compared and I match him.  He's a 30something surfer dude.  According to him I should be playing pro basketball or volleyball - sadly these are like...the two sports I have the absolute least mastery of.  Whenever we played these at school in P.E. lessons I spent a lot of time ducking, and I can't play basketball cos I just default to netball.  So those are out...he did also suggest boxing, which I'm super into - these hands, they make pretty hefty fists! So that was a fun discovery today.

If this doesn't make you smile I don't know what would.  Bobby+Lauren <3<3<3




No comments:

Post a Comment