Saturday, February 13, 2016

Picture window

Heeeere is a great picture taken by yours truly at rehearsal last week - L-R Amy, Katie, Natasha.


We're in Long Island City, Queens in an industrial building housing a dance studio from which you can see Manhattan, it's a lovely view.

So our workshop performance happens next week and we have invited dress rehearsal on Sunday. 
I'm going to miss this crew so much, we have such a good time at rehearsals. Hopefully I'll get to work with everyone again very soon.

I am off babysitting for two weeks.  They have gone to Israel for family visiting and also Itamar's Bar Mitzvah which was today. I have some thoughts on what to do with my extra free time - aside from doing extra hours for Troy at All Systems Go.  I'm very fortunate that he is keen to give me extra hours if I want them so I'm not abruptly unemployed for two weeks.  I also have hopes of getting in a dance studio to lay down some choreo, though that will depend entirely on the availability of space, as usual.  Likewise time for blogging, for writing, for play reading - in theory! It's been my habit to find myself with extra free time, plan to use it for creative purposes, then some kind of work pops up and I do that instead.  Not this time Tessa, stick to your creative guns! Maybe.

Let's see what else is happening...on Wednesday night Dan made dinner, we had Asian cucumber salad, broccoli with tahini and delicious pan fried pork with this amazing slightly sweet slightly savoury spice rub...nummmmm.  Err also some night last week I came home around 10 after a pretty long day and one roommate hands me a glass of bourbon and the other one hands me a plate of pork and we sat listening to the Velvet Underground.  How lucky am I?

Last Friday Lauren, Natalia and I went to a v. trendy party in Bushwick.  It was a fundraiser for a short film some friends are working on.  Well I only know one of the guys Jon but Lauren knows a couple more of them.  Anyway the fundraiser was in Jon's apartment which happens to be a loft in a converted warehouse which has a stage.  It's essentially a music venue where 7 people live, somehow.  I'm not sure how...as a venue it's really cool though.  They charged $10 admission which got you free beer for the night and they also had a cash bar for wine and spirits, and 6 bands played half hour sets throughout the night with music in between.  It was pretty great and so much fun to have a proper girls night out with non-stop dancing.  We piled into a car home and Lauren and Naty both slept over in my room, 2006 style! Naty had to go to work the next day leaving me to rouse Lauren from her perfectly reasonable sleep because I was hungry...after I'd read several brunch menus to her and poked her a few times she rallied and we headed out to Catfish, a Cajun bar/restaurant a few blocks away.  Where we ate;
Shrimp, crawfish and gruyere omelette with fried potatoes
Pulled pork on a brioche bun with Worcestershire crisps
American biscuits with honey butter and jam
Bread and butter pudding with a whiskey Anglaise
Really, really delicious Bloody Marys.

Oh how we brunched! It was great and we staggered home in the cold to put on slouchy clothes and glue ourselves firmly to the sofa for the next 6 hours - intermittently snoozing, watching Mad Men and yapping.  And chatting with Dan who laughed at us every time he came through the living room.
Great way to spend a Saturday.

Other things happening in the world.....COLD! Holy Bejeebus it is coooold.  The wind is howling outside and it is biting.  Haven't dared step outside yet, spose I'll have to eventually as I need a couple of things from the shop but I don't relish the thought.

Yesterday I had a brief but lovely catch up with my friend Katie Folk, an absolute legend and one of my favourite dancers.  We were at AMDA together and danced together in dance workshop several times, a privilege to me because she's phenomenal and also a gymnast.  I haven't seen her in more than a year because she was on her 6th cruise ship contract and then in Scotland for a while with her Scottish boyfriend.  I love having these kind of friends who I don't get to see often so when I do it feels like a special treat, especially when it's someone as vibrant and fun as Katie.  The same Katie who was in hospital in dire straits a year and a half ago, I blogged about that too.  She's had tons of health problems and you'd never know it from her joie de vivre and generosity to everyone.  Love her.

Well I think I'm spending my quiet Saturday cleaning and organising and other things that put my mind at ease.  How we change when we grow up!
Also listening to some Alabama Shakes, Bill Evans, watching Frasier, cooking a little...just Saturday things.  Ahhhh peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment