Saturday, November 21, 2015

All the places *from Sunday 15th

Goings on about town...hmm what's been going on

Well.

I am in rehearsals for 'I Could Never Love Anyone', a piece of dance created by my choreographer friend Katie Pettit (remember her? She's been in this blog before) which explores the facets of addiction. I am one third of the 'hydra head' of the protagonist's addiction, that is to say we are no zoning in on one say specific addiction but addressing it as a whole but representing different elements with different dancers. It's pretty melancholy subject matter but not at all a melancholy group of dancers, I LOVE my two co-hydra head guys I've danced with them both before and hope to again, they're awesome. And I've met two new dancers which is always nice.

Last Monday I sang for the incomparable Kevin Winebold who I've known for the most random reason for nearly 3 years now (random reason being that we were both briefly members of a Jewish feminist tap group) he is the music director for a Methodist Church in Bayside Queens though his most recent pro gig was playing piano for Ringling Bros circus so you know he's the real deal. He puts together this annual fundraiser for the church, it's very laid back but really nice and they are a super appreciative community. Plus they raised $2000 for a malaria charity.
He really is one of the best accompanists I've ever worked with, so rock solid you could hand him any piece of music and perform it straight away no rehearsal without worrying at all, because he would follow the music meticulously while also following you for tempo, and if you mess up he goes right with you so noone knows. It's amazing, it's like the most relaxing scenario you could have as a singer. I sang Maybe This Time (for the second time with him) and For Good from Wicked - never sung it before in my life nor have I ever sung with Morgan before. As I said Kevin is rock solid and I know both parts the song extremely well so only having one run through 5 minutes before was not panic inducing. This whole thing is a great no pressure environment to just sing whatever you want with a mic and nice church acoustics.

Fundamental Theater Project are gearing up for a fundraiser evening on Dec 15th - getting donations, securing catering, staging a reading, trying to hook in some 'names', sending invitations to potential patrons. It's exciting but also very nerve racking - we have a wonderful and high end theater, we have a poster and a press release, we have a name secured to star in the reading sooo no backing down now.

And speaking of no backing down on Friday 20th come hell or high water I will be alone on a stage with 15 minutes to do...SOMETHING. What that will be is anyone's best guess. I don't have zero material anymore but I'm not entirely sure I won't just black out as soon as I step out. Here's to being a complete rookie!

I went to see The Martian with Lauren yesterday. Very good, very sciencey, very intense, almost made me want to be an astronaut until I remembered my mortal fear of hurtling untethered through space.

Right this minute I'm on my way to the Bowery Poetry Club to see the wonderful Moorea Masa play and sing. I met her in Portland because my Swisster* Wave found out I was there and told me to go and see her friend Moorea play a show...Wave's boyfriend attended the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts he's a rad saxophonist, Moorea also went there so Wave and Moorea met and somewhere in there Wave and I met, a few years after that I went to Portland and Wave found out and told me to go see her friend Moorea perform, I did, she opened her mouth to sing and I fell in love with everything she does because she's unbelievable, she defies superlatives and the rest is history...well not history because it's only 5 months since we met BUT Moorea was in NYC doing some gigs and she told me about the one tonight to which I said YES...and I started this post before going in and I'm finishing it after coming out. Needless to say I am many things now...blown away...overflowing...possibly overblown? Anyway
Let me try to explain what just happened because it's important.
There is a man called Sean who runs a monthly night at Bowery Poetry Club called Symphonics Live. It's a variety of performers - I enjoyed a rock band, beatboxers, freestyle rappers, spoken word poetry, avant garde neo soul piano, a bunch of Broadway actors utilising hidden talents, a couple of multi-musician live jams, and at the center of it all Moorea who is captivating, she's iridescent...she's a lot of words that could also be applied to a unicorn now I think about it except that she is not a mythical creature she's flesh and blood but she sounds like a mythical creature...

It was such a warm, loving and respectful room of people, performers and audience alike. People used the evening as a forum to express their sadness over the events of the weekend and their gratitude that they have this medium, music, to help people understand how they feel. It made me think of how the arts always takes a big hit in terms of funding for schools and programmes whenever cuts need to be made...I understand the difference between needing money for hospitals and needing money for arts, we all do. But for millenia, art has been the thing that draws people together out of emotional need not intellectual interest and the world needs good, pure artists with no agenda beyond sharing their gift in the hope of shining a light on something more than it needs a new iPhone.

This evening was just the tonic and I feel fully restored after a week of feeling fine  but spiritually underfed. 

Title of this blog is a song by a group called Made In Heights that I want to choreograph to. Right now also listening on repeat to a song called LA Lately by Israel Nash, swoony acousticy psychedelicy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment