Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Minibreak

I spent the weekend at my grandparents' house in Cheltenham, to the north and west of where I am from.

I love visiting them, I get thoroughly spoiled and fed waaay too much - I had pie four times.  I was there for four days.  I got to see some of my lovely family, aunts uncles and cousins, and meet the newest members - my cousin's wife-to-be and their super cute little girls.  I read, I watched TV, I had a day in town with my Granny, window shopping, a walk in the hills...all good stuff.

My method of getting there was...interesting.  And different.  I mean, not the method, I drove a car like everybody else I don't mean I flew there by balloon or something...but I definitely took an alternative route on the way there and on the way back.  OK I GOT LOST SHUT UP OK

 This is how it's supposed to look.  I have put the start as Winchester, not where I live here but it's my closest big town and you have to zoom way into the map for any of my area to show up on the map! Pretty straightforward, right? I was doing this without a GPS but I had a road atlas in the car with me, I figured it would be a simple case of being on the right roads and just following the signs along the way.



 THIS WAS MY ATTEMPT
FAIL
UTTER AND COMPLETE FAIL
I don't know how this happened...I was trying to find this one main road called the A40 except that I couldn't and for a while was convinced that it didn't exist...until I found the end of it and drove along it into Cheltenham.  Bugger.



The return journey...........sliiiightly better.
Except for how I somehow went North immediately after leaving Cheltenham.  I didn't realise this until I got home (80 years later) and told my mum I'd been in Worcestershire (the next county over from the one that Cheltenham is in, shown here with a green dotted line) and my mum nearly died laughing because she realised where I must have gone to have got to Worcestershire.
I went through Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Worcestershire in the course of my two journeys.
I was definitely not supposed to cross this many counties.





I was also stuck in a big traffic queue forever...





BUT when I finally arrived at


I had a lovely time.  Regarde:









Mmmmm haven't changed since I was about 12




























No comments:

Post a Comment