Saturday, August 9, 2014

Confessions

Although infrequent, my blog posts of late have been consistent in their content - mostly chronicling the happenings of my life, a pretty solid journal. Today I feel like sharing some alternative things.

I'm a big fan of YouTube star Jenna Marbles (yes yes I know my generation. YouTube stars, what is this world that we live in) who basically makes short videos detailing not just the ins and outs of her life but things like 'what I learned from video games' and 'how to trick people into thinking you're good looking' PS she is a comedienne these are all for entertainment and not to be taken too seriously
So I'm partially inspired by the variety of content she puts up and also her bold frankness. Here goes...

Sometimes when I've eaten and there are meal remnants on my plate/in the takeaway container and I'm tired and don't feel like doing dishes, I will just cover it and put it in the fridge and deal with it in the morning.

When I babysit, the kids sometimes watch a show called Kickin' It on the Disney Channel about a group of incredibly well-dressed kids who do karate. When I babysit them at night after they've gone to bed I usually put the TV on. And last time I did, I watched multiple episodes of Kickin' It. Alone. The kids had gone to bed.

Rather than buy makeup for when I have to doll up for auditions, I will just go early to Sephora the huge cosmetics shop and put on a full face using free samples.

I'm weirdly obsessed with collecting glass jars. I never throw them out, instead I wash them and put them in a cupboard. And eventually I put things in them that don't need to be put in glass jars at all I just really want to use my glass jars.

Never have I, do I or will I want anything to do with Star Wars.

Offensive heckling from men in the street is a hot topic for women all over social media at the moment with articles and opinion pieces about how many times women are faced with objectification per day. The guys who hang out on my street all the time say 'I like your sunglasses' 'need help with those bags?' or 'have a nice evening' and it gives me weird survivor's guilt.

This one is known by some but not all: Two years ago I stole a miniature milk jug from Alice's Tea Cup, a cafe on the Upper West Side, because it's pretty. It now sits on my kitchen counter with a prop flower in it. For this I am sorry.

Those are all I can think of right now, but it's kind of fun to come up with them so maybe more to come. Now to balance things and in the spirit of self-improvement, some things that I used to be terrible at but am now ok at:

Asking customer service people for assistance: whether it's calling a helpline, asking a shop assistant where something is or having waiters correct mistakes to my order, I am far better these days at responding 'yes' to the question 'can I help you?' instead of going 'no I'm fine thanks and instantly regretting it but being too scared to ask them to come back.

Waking up in the morning, stay with me on this one: I still consider myself pretty night owlish but that doesn't mean when I have to I can't be up and out the door in half an hour. As opposed to needing an hour just to wake up and another to get ready.

Putting on my shoes without screwing them up, by which I mean untying the laces instead of just jamming my foot in and squashing the backs of the shoes down. Still working on this but vastly improved.

Doing my hair - yes this is the light fare of my improvements but it's important to me because I really never used to be able to do hair very well despite always wanting and finally having and loving long hair. Over the years I've gradually improved and now I actually give myself a hairstyle sometimes rather than just putting it in a ponytail or leaving it to do whatever it wants. No it's not rocket science but it's something I can do now that I couldn't do before, ok!

And finally a double-sided confession/point of pride: I am terrible at painting my own nails - left hand goes ok, right hand no because I'm not ambidextrous enough and even if I have managed to make an ok job of it I always without fail manage to smudge it before it's dry even if I sit perfectly still for 20 minutes post-paint. I am very envious of my friends who do it in five minutes flat and always have great looking nails and wonder how they do it. Once a while I think, 'why don't I have this fundamental girl skill, where was I when they handed out nail painting talent' and more than once its been a source of humour for my gal pals.
Flip side: the man in the newsagents that I used to stop by every day with my young charges after school was very friendly and gave me free gum and sometimes a magazine and always liked to ask how I was. He shook my hand once and remarked on what a big strong hand I had, to which I laughingly replied 'you know, farmer's daughter'. One day when I went there with the kids including the baby this man bent down to the baby and said 'you know who that is don't you? That is the farmer's daughter, the warrior woman'. Which is possibly the greatest compliment I've ever received, and all based on a handshake (unless he's seen me fighting Gladiators in the Circus Maximus and I never spotted him in the crowd) So, since then I've not once worried about my complete inability to handle a small pot of nail varnish without making a mess because who needs pretty nails when apparently your hands can make an impression in their normal state?
Nice to remind yourself sometimes of those little unexpected things.

For the record, my week off began yesterday Wahoo!

Yesterday we also wished a Happy 22nd Birthday to the bonniest of lasses Miss Lauren Downie, celebrated with cocktails laughs and dancing on Bleecker Street.

Jacob and I have the apartment to ourselves for a short while due to people being off and away places which is rather luxurious.

And final confession, today I got out of bed at 1pm. Just because I could. And nobody needed me to be anywhere. I made up for it by doing a LOT of cleaning and household improvements for the next four hours though.

Tessa out, peace love safety and congratulations to everyone who needs any combination thereof
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment