Thursday, February 28, 2013

Creative endeavours of the third kind

At the risk of this becoming a food blog...I have done a lot of food things lately. As someone with an incurable sweet tooth life is hard for me sometimes, because treats tend to be more expensive than functional things like eggs and broccoli. I have a supply of flour, sugar, margarine and cinnamon in the cupboard with which I can do basic baking so recently I experimented with a favourite of mine. There's been some apples sitting on our counter for what feels like forever and the other day they started whispering to me 'stew us, stew us you know you want to'. A little cinnamon, a little sugar. Stewed apples, boom. Crumble mixture, boom (ate some of it raw on the way) and, courtesy of Tea and Sympathy (I know it seems like I work for their advertising department but I really don't) Bird's custard, boom. Sweet mini apple crumbley treats - there's a whole video about it and many other things, watch this space.
'I was brought up on Birds' said Daddy.  He actually did tell me that once.
Stewed apples with crumble mix to which I added oats for a little texture and health benefits!

Stewed apples in colourful silicone reusable cake cases

And outside of the kitchen, life has also been productive, in weird and unexpected ways.

I have joined a tap company.  It is very Jewish.  I am not Jewish - this is fine, but just kind of funny.  It's called Ya'el tap and is run by the coolest lady - when I got to the audition last Sunday I was a little freaked because she was really like a taller me - we both had a kind of braidy hairstyle that day, she has a nose ring, blonde, kind of Scandinavian-looking, kooky.  Also looking at her website I saw that at one point she and I had the same shade of green hair.  And she had a great fun energy and talked about the ethos of her company with great passion and honesty, which I trusted.  The deal is her name is Julie, Hebrew name Ya'el, and when she was young she discovered a love for Israeli dance at a summer camp (presumably related to her Jewish heritage).  She decided to fuse her love for tap with her love for Israeli dance.  So now Ya'el creates works based on Jewish themes.  This is not something I would ever have thought of, for obvious reasons.  While it is a little strange that I have found myself involved with a company that is essentially coming from a religious background, and Judaism of all religions, the fact is the girls in it are all so cool and they have a tap company.  I don't have a tap company.  So power to them for making something up for themselves, knowing that nothing out there was catering to what they wanted to do.  I will do that.  I absolutely will, it's impossible for me not to do that because what can I say - there's just too much Tessa for most of what's out there right now:D
Aaanywho...I am joining them! I'm so excited, my first official rehearsal is on Monday and a performance on March 10th.  I did something! I got a job where I will be performing something on a stage for people! I had to audition, get picked, and I did! Wow I haven't let myself get excited about it until just now, YAAAAAY! Tap forever! Tap tap tap!

The other thing I've been doing this week is, well, scamming.  On craigslist I saw a post for 'flier distributors wanted', and went in, and learned that they were hiring people to hand out fliers and get people to sign up for the American Bartenders School.  This seemed easy enough.

WRONG!

It's really hard! You ever gone up to people on the street and tried to engage them and get them to write their details down? Whenever I see those people on the street ahead of me I speed up my already quick walking pace and prepare to say a firm 'nope!' should they try and talk to me.  Knowing that does not help in this job.  Also knowing that this is a ridiculous marketing strategy does not help.  Bartending school, while a perfectly good thing to do - learn a new skill, make yourself more productive - is not something people do on a whim.  It costs money.  The people who might want to be bartenders - students, unemployed actors - cannot afford bartending school.  The people who can afford it - lawyers, doctors, bankers, private school teachers - do not want to go.  They are lawyers, doctors, bankers and private school teachers.  People who go to bartending school have premeditated their decision, they have decided that they can fit it in around classes or their dayjob, they've scheduled it into their lives, saved up.  They do not meet some randomer on the street and decide to drop everything including several hundred dollars on a course that IN NO WAY GUARANTEES A JOB.
Yes, bartenders in NYC can make up to $300 an hour.  They're working in the big bucks places, high end, financial district, where the high rollers go.  Those places will not hire you if you've wandered out of a 2-week bartending course waving a certificate, mm-mm they want years of New York City experience, golden references from other high-end establishments, perfect credentials.  Maybe even the guy at my local college bar makes that much money but it's the same deal - experience, actual experience in an actual bar with actual customers, is valued over any 'training' you may have had.
Ugh...so it's my job to convince strangers that everything I've just said is not true.  I am not good at it, in fact I'm terrified of going up to strangers on the street because I imagine they are me and I know what I would do.  This is Noo Yawk Ciddy, kid.  What I am good at is walking 40 minutes over to AMDA and convincing the AMDA family to write on my clipboard.  Bless them, every single person I speak to says yes immediately without knowing what it is for or what will happen, because they just want to help me out.  Whatever NYC may have to throw at me, I will always have a home at AMDA.

Tomorrow, Lola leaves me for A MONTH.  A MONTH.  This is the longest we have ever been separated since we have known each other and I'm a little freaked out.  More than a little.  A lot.  October 2011, we meet.  Christmas 2011, we both stay in the city.  Summer break 2012, both stay here.  Christmas 2012 - both go home, separated for 2 weeks, that is bad enough, our reunion on the shuttle bus from the airport (that's right, we are such psychic twins that we managed to catch the same shuttle bus without knowing) was emotional.  A MONTH??? Waaah! Where will I be without my Mexican sister!





Luckily I have some extras - some Mexican, some not, all wonderful.  Don't ask about the bedbug - it's a thing we have.

Anyway Lolis will be home soon and we have to enjoy our last evening hanging out before she heads off.  Peace, molto vivace (and Mazeltov, I guess)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nb: this does not mean I am now Jewish.

1 comment: